When Governor Lachlan Macquarie first visited Hobart in November 1811, the settlement was little more than a clusters of dwellings scattered on either side of a little creek known as Hobart Town Rivulet. The creek ran between present day Collins and Liverpool Streets in an easterly direction, turn south and draining into Sullican's Cove around present day Hunter Street. Within a week of his arrival in Hobart, Macquarie had drawn up a new plan for the town based upon a new set of streets. The north-south streets were Harrington, Muray, Elizabeth and Argyle; the north-west streets were Pitt, Macquarie, Collins and Liverpool. A town square, to be called George's Square after the King, was to be bounded by Macqaurie, Elizabeth Streets. Two existing pathways, situated on either side of the rivulet between Argyle, Collins, Murray and Macquarie Streets, were abandoned. Macquarie's new streets were 60 ft wide with pathways 8 ft wide on either side.
By 1828, a new street parallel to Argyle - Campbell Street - had been extended to join Hunters Island to the mainland. Beyond Murray Street at the south-west end of the town, a new, as-yet unnamed road ran around the shores of Sullivan Cove past the Customs House Quay (Castray Esplanade) to the site of a proposed battery on what would become known as Battery Point. Another new road - Davey Street - emerged parallel to Macquarie Street to its south. All shipping had berthed at the Old Wharf at Hunter's Island until 1818 when land began to be resumed and embankments excavated for new wharves on the cove front.
The capital city of Tasmania it is Australia's second oldest city. Named Hobart Town after Robert Hobart, fourth Earl of Buckinghamshire (right), who was Secretary of State for the colonies. The word "Town" was dropped by an Act of Parliament in 1881 when it became a city. There were moves to convert the name to Hobarton but this was short lived.
formerly Park Street as it travelled the perimeter of Queens Domain. The name recalls William Edward Brooker (1891-1948), an Australian Labor Party politician. He became the Premier of Tasmania on 19th December 1947 while former Premier Robert Cosgrove was facing charges. He died on the 18th June 1948, shortly after returning the Premiership to Robert Cosgrove on the 24th February 1948.
the exact origin of the name is unknown. There are two possibilities. Either it was a crossing place across a creek, or it recalls an early settler or business owner trading in the area.
recalls Colonial surveyor and explorer, George Evans. In September 1812 he went to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) with the acting surveyor-general, James Meehan, to remeasure grants made by former lieutenant-governors; these were in a deplorable state through the inefficiency and misconduct of Deputy-Surveyors Harris and Mills. While thus engaged he was appointed in November 1812 deputy-surveyor of lands, Van Diemen's Land, but in August 1813 he was recalled to Sydney and instructed to try to find a passage into the interior. In July 1815 he returned to Hobart, remaining until 1817 when he was required to act as second-in-command to Surveyor-General John Joseph William Molesworth Oxley in an expedition then setting out from Bathurst to determine the course of the Lachlan River. Evans returned to Hobart and for the first time since his appointment as deputy-surveyor was able to confine his attention to his duties in Van Diemen's Land, where land surveys were in serious arrears through inadequate staff and continual demands for his services on exploration.
Capt. John Hunter, Second Captain First Fleet vessel HMS Sirius, and Governor of NSW, 11th September, 1795 to 27th September, 1800.
Named by Gov. Lachlan Macquarie after his wife, Elizabeth Henrietta Macquarie (nee Campbell).
Market Place: site of an early Hobart produce markets.
Formerly Dunn Street. The street was named after James Alfred Dunn (right), member of the Tasmanian Legislative Council representing Hobart Town between 1851 and 1867. During the 1840s the Sullivan Cove area was reclaimed as part of the Franklin Wharf Development. By 1842, the area in front had been sufficiently reclaimed to allow a Merchant Store and yard to be built close to the present Campbell Street corner. Over the next seven years the reclamation was completed, allowing for Dunn Street to be created.
named by Gov. Macquarie, either after the place where he grew up - County Argyll, Scotland - or the Duke of Argyll, head of the clan Campbell.
Probably named after Paternoster Row in London. That street was so named from the rosary or paternoster makers. We read of "one Robert Nikke, a paternoster maker and citizen, in the reign of Henry IV." Some say it was so called because funeral processions on their way to St. Paul's began their pater noster at the beginning of the Row, and went on repeating it till they reached the church-gate. Hobart's Holy Trinity Church is bounded by Church Street to the south-east and Paternoster Street to the north-east.
Hobart's Holy Trinity Church is located alongside Church Street on the corner of Warwick Street.
Named by Gov. Lachlan Macquarie after his wife, Elizabeth Henrietta Macquarie (nee Campbell)
Markets once existed here.
possibly named after an engineer, Thomas Thorniley Brooke (d.1871).
Recalls Capt. John Murray of the 73rd Regiment, Commandant at Hobart Town in 1810 in succession to Edward Lord. The street was named by Gov. Macquarie.
Watchorn Street: recalls the Watchorn family, members of whom figure prominently in Hobart's legal profession. William Watchorn Snr. was a Magistrate in the 1840s. John Watchorn (1826-1905) was a member of the Tasmanian Legislative Council as the Member for Huon from 1882. He died in office in 1905. William Watchorn Perkins (1843-1903) was a Member of the Legislative Council representing the electorate of Pembroke, from 1889 until his death in 1903. In 1880, Arthur Denison Watchorn founded Finlay Watchorn Barristers and Solicitors with William Alexander Finlay.
More than likely was named after Queen Victoria, but the circumstances surrounding its naming are not known.
recalls William Lamb, Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), stateman and Prime Minister of UK 1834 and 1837-41. It would not have been named after Melbourne in Victoria as the street existed and was thus named before Melbourne town was created.
The name honours probably Viscount Petersham, Charles Stanhope (1780-1851), who acceded 1829 as 4th Earl of Harrington. He was one of ten children of Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington. In 1799, he became Captain of the Prince of Wales's Light Dragoons; in 1803 Major of the Queen's Rangers; and in 1807 Lieutenant Colonel 3rd West India Regiment.
takes its name from Heathfield (Anzac House) in Davey Street. It is an Old Colonial Regency town house which addresses the Cove rather than the street by way of a loggia on three sides with supporting fine columns, pedestals and capitals.
The Hobart Town military barracks were located here.
Named after George James Molle (1773-1823) who, in 1815, was Lieutenant-Governor of New South Wales. This street name is associated with Charles Jeffreys (1782 - 1826), a naval officer and friend of Molle who lived in Australia from 1814 to 1817 and from 1820 to 1826. His first commission was to transport convicts and other passengers from Port Jackson to the Derwent. During this time Jeffreys began writing many publications for British immigrants intending to settle in Van Diemen's Land. His book Geographical and Descriptive Delineations of the Island of Van Diemen's Land (1820) was found to be largely plagiarised from a manuscript written by his co-traveller Surveyor George Evans. Jeffreys was not regarded as a very competent officer so was sent to Ceylon and later back to England. When Jeffreys returned to Tasmania he obtained a grant of 800 acres at Pittwater. On his voyage to Ceylon in 1816, Molle Island in the Whitsunday Passage, Queensland. Jeffreys died in Sorrell in 1826.
possibly named after a business or trader who operated here.
Britsih nurse Edith Louisa Cavell (1865-1915), who was executed during the German occupation of Brussels in World War I for assisting in the escape of British and Belgian soldiers.
Recalls Luke Richard Castray, Commissioner General who conceived of the link that the road would make between Hobart wharves and Battery Point, and designed it.
Salamanca Place: recalls a town in Spain which the Allied army led by the Duke of Wellington took on 17th June 1812 during the Peninsula War (1808-14).
Probably named after John Hampden-Trevor, 3rd Viscount Hampden, 6th Baron Trevor (1749-1824). He succeeded to the Viscountcy of Hampden on August 20, 1824, just three weeks before his death. He had no heirs, and the title became extinct at that time. The Hampden viscountcy was revived in the Peerage of the United Kingdom in 1884 when the Liberal politician and former Speaker of the House of Commons, Sir Henry Brand, was created Viscount Hampden, of Glynde in the County of Sussex.
Recalls the Spanish town of Albuera, and the battle which took place there during the Peninsula War (1808-14).
named by Gov. Franklin after George Gordon, Lord Byron (1788-1824), a poet who also fought the Greeks in their war of liberation from the Turks.Origin not known. Possibly named after a business or trader who operated here.
Origin not known. Possibly named after a business or trader who operated here.
Named for its proximity to Parliament House.
Honours William Gore Elliston, Mayor Hobart, 1856.
George Arthur, baronet (1784-1854). He was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of Van Diemen's Land in 1823 and took office on 14 May 1824. For the next 12 years he was responsible for the Colony, which separated from New South Wales the following year. In 1836, Arthur's autocratic and authoritarian rule led to his recall. By this time he was one of the wealthiest men in the Colony.
Recalls John Burnett (1781-1860), civil servant, who arrived in 1826 as Van Diemen's Land's Colonial Secretary.
Tasma Street: Originally High Street. Honours novelist Jessie Catherine Couvreur, nee Huybers (1848-97), whose pseudonym was 'Tasma'.
Warwick Street: named by the Surveyor-General of Tasmania, George William Evans, after his hometown in Warwickshire, UK.
Originally known as St Patrick Street. Like its twin in Launceston, it was named to honour Irish born Father Phillip Conolly (1786-1839) whose work as a Catholic priest brought him immense respect in the community. The name recalls St Patrick (604-742), the Patron Saint of Ireland.
Augustus Street: thought to be named after early-Victorian architect, designer, theorist and staunch Catholic, Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812&endash;52) who is best known for his sumptuous interiors at the British Houses of Parliament in London. Pugin's work can be seen today in the St Paul's Church at Oatlands, and Colebrook's St Patrick's Church, as well as a spectacular stained-glass window in St Joseph's, Hobart.
Upper Princes Street
Upper Princes Street: part of a street which once led to Princes Wharf. The wharf was originally known as New Wharf, but was renamed after being rebuilt and officially opened by the Duke of York.
Recalls Sir Thomas MacDougall Brisbane (1773-1860), Governor of New South Wales, 1821-25.
Named after Robert Saunders Dundas (1771-1851), 2nd Viscount Melville, who filled various political offices and was first Lord of the Admiralty from 1812 to 1827 and from 1828 t0 1830. His eldest son, Henry Dundas (1801-1876), was a general in the army and played a distinguished part in the second Sikh War.
Bathurst Street: named by Gov. Lachlan Macquarie in honour of his direct superior, the Secretary of War and the Colonies, Henry Bathurst, 3rd Earl of Bathurst (1762-1834), the 3rd Earl of Bathurst. Secretary of State for the Colonies and member of parliament for Cirencester in 1783, Bathurst was Lord of the Admiralty from 1783 to 1789, Lord of the Treasury from 1789 to 1791, Commissioner of the Board of Control from 1791 to 1802. He held many other offices until his death 27th July 1834.
Named in honour of Robert Banks Jenkinson, Earl of Liverpool (right) by Gov. Macquarie in 1810. Jenkinson was Home Secretary between 1804 and 1806 and Secretary of State for War and Colonies between 1807 and 1809.
Named after the first official Colonial Secretary, Frederick Goulburn, who arrived in Sydney in 1820. His brother Henry was an official in the British Government and held various senior positions including secretary to Lord Bathurst.
Recalls Lieut-Gov. David Collins (right), who first attempted settlement of the Port Phillip District in 1803. His colony, on the Mornington Peninsula, was shortlived, and within a year had moved to Ridson Cove, Tasmania (near present day Hobart). Collins, credited as the founder of Hobart, was Governor of Victoria 1851-1854.
Macquarie Street: Named after the Governor of New South Wales, Lachlan Macquarie.
Davey Street: Recalls Lieut-Col. Thomas Davey, 1st Lieut. Governor of Tasmania, 1813-19. A map of Hobart Town executed by Gov. Lachlan Macquarie in 1811 shows the street as Pitt Street, presumably named after British Prime Minister, William Pitt the Younger. There is no record of when the street's name was changed and by whom.
Wilmot Street Recalls Sir John Eardley-Wilmot (1783-1847), Lieut-Gov. of Van Diemen's Land 1843-46.. He was dismissed in 1846, allegedly for failure to suppress convict homosexuality.
Fitzroy place / Crescent
Possibly named after Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy (1796-1858), Governor of New South Wales (1845-55), replacing Sir George Gipps.
Believed to be named by a developer after his home town of Montpelier in northeast County Limerick, Ireland. Six similarly named towns exist in the US, but the spelling has been changed here.
Kelly Street / Kelly Steps
Recalls Capt. James Kelly (1791-1859), one of Hobart's most colourful and notorious whalers. Of convict parentage, he became a Master Mariner, circumnavigated Tasmania in a whaling boat, suffered a shipwreck on a sealing expedition to Macquarie Island and was Hobart's Harbourmaster for some time. Kelly owned much of the land now occupied by the Salamanca Arts Centre, selling it before the warehouses were built. He constructed Kelly's Steps and Kelly's Lane to link his residence in Battery Point directly to his business on New Wharf.
Takes its name from the home of Dr Henry P Fry, rector of St George Church c.1850.
George Street: probably named after King George III. The street is now known as Gladstone Street (see below).
Recalls William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898), British Liberal Party statesman and Prime Minister, 1868-1874, 1880-1885, 1886 and 1892-94 (right). He was a notable political reformer, known for his populist speeches, and was for many years the main political rival of Benjamin Disraeli. He was Colonial Secretary in the 1840s.
Recalls Askin Morrison, a merchant who arrived in Tasmania in 1829. In the early 1830s he imported a cargo of tea from China that reputedly made him a profit of 10,000 pounds. It is thought that he used this money in 1834 to purchase a parcel of land fronting New Wharf. Morrison immediately built a warehouse on the property (now 65 Salamanca Place), which became the base for his import and export business and where he stored whale oil and products.
Recalls Lieut. Col. Henry Despard, Commanding Officer of the 1st / 99th Foot (Wiltshire Duke of Edinburgh) Regiment, which was stationed in Hobart at times from 1842 and left Australia in 1856.
Sandy Bay Road
The main road to the southern suburb of Hobart on the shores of the Derwent River. Named by the Rev. Robert (Bobby) Knopwood, who is said to have applied the name descriptively. He first mentioned it in his diary in 1804. Lower Sandy Bay is on the southern side of Sandy Bay and takes in the beach from which the name originated. First named Lower Sandy Bay then it changed to Beachside, then in 1968 it was changed again to its' present name.
On a private voyage of exploration between 1792 and 1794, Comm. John Hayes (later Sir John) of the East India Company with two ships, the Duke of Clarence and the Duchess, spent several weeks in Southern Tasmania, during which time he named the River Derwent after the River Derwent of his birthplace Cumberland, England and also Risdon Cove and Mount Direction. Note The correct name of the river is the 'River Derwent' and not Derwent River as is the normal way Australian rivers were named.
In February 1804, Lieutenant-Colonel David Collins transferred a colony from Port Phillip near present-day Sorrento to Hobart in the ships Ocean and Lady Nelson. A quick inspection of the existing settlement at Risdon Cove satisfied him that the site was quite unsuitable and he made his own reconnaissance, eventually selecting the area on the western bank which he named Sullivans Cove after John Sullivan, the British Undersecretary For War and the Colonies. Collins ordered that the expedition should be disembarked with all its stores in the vicinity of Hunters Island. From the camp on Sullivans Cove, the city of Hobart has grown. In October 1803, Collins had also named the site of his original Port Phillip settlement after Sullivan.
Recalls Sir John Franklin, Governor of Tasmania from 1837 to 1843.
Believed to be named by after the reigning monarch at the time of Hobart's founding, King George III. Georges Square no longer exists.
The dock was opened in 1850 in the same week as a new constitution for Tasmania came into effect.